Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)


The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is a federally-funded program designed to assist low income families meet the cost of home heating by providing a one-time payment to the heating utility. The LIHEAP program is a federally-funded program by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). Homeowners and renters are eligible, within the federal poverty guidelines. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis November 1 - April 30 of each year. Households with a  member 60 years of age or older, those who are disabled, and those in crisis can begin applying October 1st.  Visit your local community action outreach office to apply for this and other programs.

What are the Benefits of LIHEAP?

  • Helps keep families safe and healthy through initiatives that assist families with energy costs.

  • Receive a one-time payment to assist with household heating costs, regardless of heating fuel type.

  • Both home owners and renters may qualify

  • Program available from November 1st to April 30th annually

  • Protects qualified applicants from being disconnected from natural gas or electric service during the annual winter moratorium, normally November 1 through April 1.

What is Required for Program Eligibility?

  • Meet income guidelines

  • Must have a heating and/or electric vendor, including an account number for the address you live at to receive the moratorium protection

  • Households with a member 60 years of age or older, those who are disabled and those in crisis can apply beginning October 1st

  • Must prove Legal U.S. status

LIHEAP is offered in the following counties:

  • Buena Vista
  • Clay
  • Dickinson
  • Emmet
  • Hamilton
  • Humboldt
  • O'Brien
  • Osceola
  • Palo Alto
  • Pocahontas
  • Webster
  • Wright

How Do I Apply?

You will need three groups of documents:

  1. Proof of identity for everyone living in your home. 
    • Social security cards are best because they don't expire. If you applied the year before, we may still have this on file for you. 
    • Adults can also use an unexpired Iowa driver's license or a REAL ID (with a star symbol) from any State, or a current United States passport. 
  1. Your gas and electric utility bills. We will verify your account numbers with your vendor.
  2. Proof of income for every adult living in your home. 


Choose from the links below to:

  • Access a map of all Outreach Offices. Choose the county where you live to access contact information and to schedule an appointment.
  • Access a downloadable LIHEAP application to complete, print, and mail to your local county Outreach Office.
  • Access the online LIHEAP application to complete and submit.