Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)


The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) assists low – income homeowners and renters who are facing a loss of water service or have been disconnected already. Households can receive payment assistance for past-due charges.

What are the Benefits of the LIHWAP?

  • Pays past-due water and sewer bills to bring the account current and/or to avoid disconnection of services

  • Assists in the reconnection of water services

  • Both home owners and renters may qualify

What is Required for Program Eligibility?

  • Meet income guidelines

  • Have a water burden and a current water crisis:

    • Already disconnected from water service
    • Received a disconnection notice
    • Is currently on a payment plan with the vendor and cannot make the next payment.

  • Must prove Legal U.S. status

LIHWAP is offered in the following counties:

  • Buena Vista
  • Clay
  • Dickinson
  • Emmet
  • Hamilton
  • Humboldt
  • O'Brien
  • Osceola
  • Palo Alto
  • Pocahontas
  • Webster
  • Wright

How Do I Apply?

LIHWAP mirrors the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, meaning you must qualify for federal LIHEAP benefits.

You will need three groups of documents:

  1. Proof of identity for everyone living in your home. 
    • Social security cards are best because they don't expire. If you applied the year before, we may still have this on file for you. 
    • Adults can also use an unexpired Iowa driver's license or a REAL ID (with a star symbol) from any State, or a current United States passport. 
  1. Your gas, electric and/or water utility bills. We will verify your account numbers with your vendor.
  2. Proof of income for every adult living in your home. 

Contact the Outreach Office in the county where you live to schedule an appointment.  We do not accept online applications for LIHWAP.