Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
The Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) assists low – income homeowners and renters who are facing a loss of water service or have been disconnected already. Households can receive payment assistance for past-due charges.
What are the Benefits of the LIHWAP?
Pays past-due water and sewer bills to bring the account current and/or to avoid disconnection of services
Assists in the reconnection of water services
Both home owners and renters may qualify
What is Required for Program Eligibility?
Meet income guidelines
Have a water burden and a current water crisis:
- Already disconnected from water service
- Received a disconnection notice
- Is currently on a payment plan with the vendor and cannot make the next payment.
Must prove Legal U.S. status
LIHWAP is offered in the following counties:
- Buena Vista
- Palo Alto
How Do I Apply?
LIHWAP mirrors the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, meaning you must qualify for federal LIHEAP benefits.
You will need three groups of documents:
- Proof of identity for everyone living in your home.
- Social security cards are best because they don't expire. If you applied the year before, we may still have this on file for you.
- Adults can also use an unexpired Iowa driver's license or a REAL ID (with a star symbol) from any State, or a current United States passport.
- Your gas, electric and/or water utility bills. We will verify your account numbers with your vendor.
- Proof of income for every adult living in your home.
- Income from the past 30 days prior to the application or for the past year. Click for a check list of required documentation.
Contact the Outreach Office in the county where you live to schedule an appointment. We do not accept online applications for LIHWAP.