Weatherization improves the energy efficiency of homes to help families and individuals with limited income save money on their utility bills.
A Weatherization Energy Auditor will inspect:
Stove & oven
Attic & basement air leaks
Low-cost energy measures
A Weatherization Plan will be developed & may include:
Furnace tune & clean or repair/replacement
Water heater repair/replacement
Attic, sidewall, crawl space & band joist insulation
Seal cracks & holes
Smoke & carbon monoxide detectors
LED light bulbs
What are the Benefits of Weatherization?
Both homeowners and renters can qualify
Solves certain health and safety problems in the client's homes
Maintains affordable housing for low-income persons
Saves money on your utility bill
Reduces environmental pollution
What is Required for Program Eligibility?
When you apply for LIHEAP you are also applying for weatherization.
Income guidelines, how much energy your home uses, and other factors.
You can also apply for this service without applying for utility assistance.
Must prove Legal U.S. status
Weatherization is offered in the following counties:
- Buena Vista
- Cerro Gordo
- Palo Alto
How Do I Apply?
If you have applied for LIHEAP and are eligible, no further action needed.
If you have not applied for LIHEAP, you will need three groups of documents:
- Proof of identity for everyone living in your home.
- Social security cards are best because they don't expire. If you applied the year before, we may still have this on file for you.
- Adults can also use an unexpired Iowa driver's license or a REAL ID (with a star symbol) from any State, or a current United States passport.
- Your gas, electric and/or water utility bills. We will verify your account numbers with your vendor.
- Proof of income for every adult living in your home.
- Income from the past 30 days prior to the application or for the past year. Click for a check list of required documentation.
Contact the Outreach Office in the county where you live to schedule an appointment.